Where is home? I've wondered where home is, and I realized, it's not Mars or someplace like that, it's Indianapolis when I was nine years old. I had a brother and a sister, a cat and a dog, and a mother and a father and uncles and aunts. And there's no way I can get there again.”

Kurt Vonnegut 11th of October 2005

Monday, July 12, 2010

Hey kids,

It has been a strange couple of days both personally and creatively. Went to bed on a thursday happy as a fresh bottle of wine and woke up a friday stuck in a rut. But I have to say that I am proud of myself I have created work this summer that I never thought I would be able to make, a personal goal has been fulfilled. I am still waiting for my professional photos to be sent to me but in the mean time here are two images of some recent work, greenware, waiting to be fired this up coming weekend.






In my first post i put up a piece of narrative from my senior paper. randomly i will be putting up the chapters that follow. here is chapter 2, a continuation of my first post.

The journey to the east coast was a mental shock to the girl. “Is this my new home?” she said. How could someone have a connection to such a naked city? Fueled by the need to prove herself to a family that didn't see her strength, and needing to prove to herself that this could be home, she rushed through two years of school with abandon.

One image always popped into her head when thinking of home. “My mother would cook my family dinner every night. She would stand there in this two person room surrounded by white cabinets, stained yellow, rummaging through the shelves looking for the Worcestershire sauce. She didn't belong here, although she was content she could have done so much more. She wanted to be an Astronaut, what happened?” After a pause and an irritated grunt she continued, “My father happened. The smell from the grilling meat would float in the air towards the adjacent living room. My father would be watching Star Trek or Channel 6 News, in his Lazy Boy, his chosen surroundings. He was a hero. Did you know that? He saved a boy from a burning house, or something like that. A police chief who brought his work home, a hazard of the job.”

and check out my ceramic facebook, i have items up for sale and comments are always welcome, add me. rachel ann ceramics!

No comments:

Post a Comment